Dennis Bekemeyer is principal of Bekemeyer Aviation Law Offices and formerly a partner in the New York and Seattle offices of Sidley Austin LLP and in the Seattle and District of Columbia offices of Perkins Coie LLP, having led the aircraft finance teams in these firms. Bekemeyer has broad experience in virtually all aspects of aircraft and aerospace finance, having represented many of the world’s leading aircraft, engine, satellite and launch vehicle manufacturers, together with many of the world’s leading aircraft and aerospace lessors, lessees, lenders, equity investors, arrangers and underwriters. Transactions in which he has represented such parties include leveraged and operating leases, aircraft and jet engine warehouse financing facilities, securitization and other structured financings, satellite and launch vehicle financings and launch services contracts, some of which were “deal of the year” or “first of its kind” transactions.
Bekemeyer was involved in the development of many innovative commercial aircraft financing structures and aircraft leasing ventures over the past several decades. He acted for the world’s leading aircraft manufacturer in the early cross-border coordination of export credit agencies from North America, Europe and Japan, which in cooperation with UNIDROIT led to the implementation of the Cape Town Convention and related Aircraft Equipment Protocol. More recently he has increasingly applied his experience to corporate jet aircraft transactions.
Representative transactions in which he has advised clients include:
- “First of its kind”, “deal of the year” international equipment trust for major international airline, with financing assistance from export credit agencies in the United States and Japan
- “First of its kind” structured advance payment financing for major U.S. airline
- Negotiation of purchase agreements for $26 billion of commercial jet aircraft (100 737, 747, 777 and 787 aircraft from Boeing and 100 A320 and A350 aircraft from Airbus) representing a major international aircraft leasing company
- Numerous U.S. and foreign commercial aircraft leveraged leases, operating leases and finance leases
- Numerous U.S. and foreign corporate and personal jet aircraft sales, purchases, financings, leases and related management and operating agreements, including Asian charter management operations under FAA Part 135 regulations
- Structured aircraft and engine warehouse financing facilities and securitizations
- Related transactions involving export credit agency support, domestic and international insolvency and restructuring, and domestic and international joint ventures
Bekemeyer has spoken at numerous international legal and aircraft finance conferences. His presentations include “Aircraft Finance and Leasing,” Asia Pacific Aircraft Leasing Conference sponsored by the Republic of China; “Teaming for the Nineties—Financing the International Joint Venture Product,” Inter-Pacific Bar Association; “Transnational Loans and International Financing” for officials from the People’s Republic of China; “Legal Aspects of International Business Transactions for Latin American Public Sector Attorneys,” University of Illinois College of Law and Organization of American States; “Business Aircraft: Ownership and Operation,” International Bar Association; and “Aircraft Securitization” presentations at various Asset Backed Securities conferences.
He served as chairperson (1994-1996) of the Aerospace Law Committee of the Inter-Pacific Bar Association, and on the UNIDROIT Space Working Group relating to the Space Assets Protocol to the Cape Town Convention. He has been regularly named in The International Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers and Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Aviation Lawyers, and was named in Euromoney’s The Best of the Best 2003.
JD University of Illinois
AB Dartmouth College
Structuring Aircraft Transactions