Taisa Markus served as partner in the Latin America Practice Group in the New York office of White & Case LLP until her retirement in 2021. Previously, she served as partner at Paul Hastings LLP and at Milbank LLP. Her practice over the years focused on cross border capital markets and corporate finance transactions in Latin America.
Taisa’s 35 years of experience include work on:
- SEC registered and 144A equity and debt issuances out of Mexico, Brazil, Chile and Argentina including the IPOs of Casa Cuervo and of the largest microfinance lender in the region
- high yield and investment grade bond issuances for Mexican, Argentine, Brazilian, Chilean, Paraguayan and Central American issuers
- sovereign debt issuances and restructurings involving Mexico, Argentina, Trinidad and Tobago, El Salvador and Guatemala
- cross-border bank finance and structured finance throughout the region
- corporate restructurings
- general securities law matters
- Tier 1 and Tier 2 bank capital securities offerings for financial institutions throughout the region
Taisa has been recognized in Chambers Latin America, Chambers USA Banking, Chambers USA, Capital Markets Debt & Equity, Legal 500 and Latinvex as a leading lawyer. She has spoken on various topics related to finance in the region at PLI and Euromoney seminars.
Taisa received a J.D. cum laude from the University of Illinois College of Law in 1986 and a B.S. in Mathematics cum laude from Loyola University of Chicago in 1983. She serves on the board of the Vance Center for International Justice and on the Advisory Board of the University of Illinois College of Law. She has been active in women’s bar associations and groups in the United States and in Latin America. Taisa speaks English, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French and Ukrainian. Her interests include heritage preservation, sustainable tourism and inclusive finance.
JD University of Illinois College of Law
BS Loyola University of Chicago
Doing Business in Latin America