The legal profession of the 21st century is global. The University of Illinois College of Law provides the opportunity for advanced JD students to develop this global awareness through semester-long programs at foreign partner schools.
These programs allow students to experience at first hand the legal system, culture, and environment of another country while continuing progress towards the JD degree. The University of Illinois College of Law Study Abroad program provides JD students with the opportunity to spend one semester at partner schools outside the United States. Credits earned from Illinois Law Study Abroad programs can count towards the JD degree.
These programs are open to law students who have completed their first year of study (30 credit hours). A full course load must be taken during the study abroad semester (minimum 12 credits). To be eligible to participate, the student must be in good standing and carry a minimum GPA of 3.0. Selected courses must meet American Bar Association requirements and are subject to the approval of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. At some schools courses in English may be limited. The College of Law Academic Advisor for Study Abroad is the Associate Dean for Graduate and International Programs.
The application deadline for fall semester study abroad is February 15, and the deadline for spring semester study abroad is September 15. To apply, visit the University of Illinois Study Abroad website and search for the program listed below. There is a non-refundable $100 study abroad application systems fee.
In addition to completing the online application, students must provide to the Graduate and International Programs Office:
- a statement of purpose describing how your study abroad experience will impact your academic and legal career;
- a copy of your most recent résumé; and
- the names of two professors who can be used as recommenders (recommendation letters are not necessary).
If you are interested in studying abroad or have questions about the program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
College of Law Exchange Programs
Study Abroad for College of Law J.D. students is available at the following universities (upcoming exchange partnerships are in italics, for the most up-to-date information, please contact the Graduate and International Programs Office). Per American Bar Association reporting requirements, the College of Law generally cannot have more than two students at any single institution in any academic year.
- China University of Political Science and Law (Beijing)
- East China University of Political Science and Law (Shanghai)
- Peking University Law School (Beijing)
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University KoGuan Law School (Shanghai)
- Tsinghua University School of Law (Beijing)
- Gujarat National Law University (Gandhinagar)
- National Academy of Legal Studies and Research University of Law (Hyderabad)
- National Law University, Delhi (New Delhi)
- O.P. Jindal Global University Jindal Global Law School (Delhi)
- Keio Law School (Tokyo)
- Waseda School of Law (Tokyo)
- National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- Singapore Management University, School of Law (Singapore)
- Ewha Womans University (Seoul)
- Yonsei University (Seoul)
- College of Law, National Taiwan University (Taipei City)
- University of New South Wales (Sydney)
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (Leuven)
- EBS Universität für Wirtschaft und Recht, EBS Law School (Weisbaden)
- Friedrich-Schiller-Uniiversität Jena (Jena)
- University of Potsdam (Potsdam)
- University of Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
- Tilburg Law School, Tilburg University (Tilburg)
- VU University Amsterdam (Amsterdam)
- The University of Bergen (Bergen)
- Universidad Pontificia Comillas (Madrid)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona)
- Stockholm University (Stockholm)
- University of Bern (Bern)
- Universidad Católica Argentina (Buenos Aires)
- Universidad de San Andrés (Buenos Aires)
- Escola de Direito do Rio de Janeiro da Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV Direito Rio) (Rio de Janeiro)
- Escola de Direito de São Paulo da Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV Direito SP) (São Paulo)
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Valparaíso (Valparaíso)
- Universidad del Rosario (Bogotá)
- Universidad Catolica San Pablo (Arequipo)