LLM Aid & Scholarships

All admitted students are automatically considered for scholarships with awards based on merit, need, and available scholarship funds. Typically, over 80% of students admitted to the LLM program receive a College of Law tuition scholarship. Students are further encouraged to seek funding from their employer or home country’s government.

Admissions decisions are made separately from decisions regarding financial aid. An offer of admission does not guarantee that a student will receive financial aid and College of Law scholarships will not cover all expenses. All admitted international candidates must be prepared to demonstrate that they can fully support themselves during the period of their studies in order to obtain a visa for entry into the United States. The University’s Graduate College will not process your application until funding documents have been received.

Applicants should not rely on outside employment for themselves or their spouse as a means of financing their studies since current U.S. immigration laws severely restrict the ability of foreign nationals to accept employment in the United States while studying.

Financial Aid for International Applicants

Some private loan servicers provide student loans specifically for international students studying in the U.S. Please contact the Office of Graduate and International Programs (law-gradprograms@illinois.edu) for additional information.

Financial Aid for U.S. Applicants

There are several sources for student loans available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents, including:

  • Federal Student Loans: The annual amount available from FAFSA is $20,500, and is guaranteed regardless of income. The FAFSA application can be completed online.
  • GradPlus Loans: Available to graduate and professional students with good credit histories, and can be applied to expenses not already covered by Federal Student Loans and other financial resources.

Below are some additional useful resources for U.S. applicants seeking sources of funding for their graduate degree:

Office of Student Financial Aid