Law Alumni Board
The Law Alumni Board is a group of dedicated alumni who support the College of Law’s alumni relations efforts.
The Board is actively involved in promoting alumni events, developing opportunities for student-alumni interaction, providing alumni services, and encouraging alumni giving to the College of Law.
The Alumni Board is composed of approximately 40 alumni, each serving a two-year term. The Board meets quarterly, including one annual meeting on campus either during Homecoming or the Alumni-Student Career Conference, and its committees conduct business between full board meetings.
About the Law Alumni Board
The Law Alumni Board is a group of dedicated alumni who provide input to and facilitate engagement with the College of Law on issues relating to alumni and students. The mission of the Board is to:
- Encourage outstanding men and women of diverse backgrounds to apply to and attend the College of Law;
- Advise and mentor students of the College of Law on academic and professional topics;
- Promote the professional work done by College of Law alumni;
- Promote the College of Law’s ongoing mission to study the law and expand the knowledge and professionalism of practicing attorneys;
- Promote professional and social relationships among alumni;
- Deliver current news to alumni of the College of Law;
- Cooperate with the College of Law and interested alumni to strengthen the Law Alumni Association; and
- Encourage philanthropy to benefit the College of Law community.
The Law Alumni Board maintains the following committees, which oversee various areas of the Board:
- Executive: manages the business of the Board and acts on behalf of the Board in certain circumstances. This committee consists of the President, Vice-President, and Secretary.
- Admissions: advises and assists the Office of Admissions with issues related to the recruiting and admission of new students.
- Advancement: assists the College with its fundraising and alumni relations efforts by promoting alumni giving and involvement.
- Alumni Relations/Events: assists the College in planning alumni events, including networking events and continuing legal education, and advises on services that should be provided to alumni.
- Student/Career Services: develops opportunities for meaningful interaction between students and alumni. This committee provides significant assistance with the annual Alumni/Student Career Conference.
Expectations of Board Members
In order to ensure that the Board is able to fulfill its mission, each Board Member is expected to:
- Serve on one committee of the Board
- Attend quarterly Board meetings, including an annual meeting on campus coinciding with Homecoming or the Alumni-Student Career Conference. (Members who are unable to participate in person, due to geographic location or unavoidable work/family commitments, may participate in meetings via teleconference.)
- Attend alumni events occurring near the Board Member’s home or office
- Invite Illinois law alumni friends and colleagues to alumni events
- Be a member of the University of Illinois Alumni Association
- Make an annual gift to the College of Law
- Nominate at least one alum per year to the Law Alumni Board
Apply for the Law Alumni Board
Law Alumni Board members serve 2-year staggered terms, which begin on July 1 of each year. Applications for new members are due on March 15th of each year. If you have additional questions about the Law Alumni Board, please contact Heather Ball, Director of Events and Alumni Programming, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (217) 244-0689.
Law Alumni Board Members
Ashley Kennedy, ’19
St. Louis, MO
Sean Farris, ’20
U.S. District Courts
Brittany Wiegand, ’20
Rob Beard, ’08
Micron Technology, Inc.
Anna Benjamin, ’08
State of Illinois
Brian Brothman, ’16
Jonathon Clark, ’21
Illinois Appellate Courts
Sara M. Crook, ’20
Jenner & Block LLP
Nicole DiOrio, ’20
Sweeney, Scharkey & Blanchard LLC
Orland Park, IL
Jodie Distler Hanzlik, ’03
BMO Harris Bank N.A.
Western Springs, IL
Lauren Eiten, ’22
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
Christos Kapsalis, ’21
Internal Revenue Service
Ethan Levy, ’22
Jenner & Block LLP
Prachi Mehta, ’15
Beverly Hills, CA
Daniel Scheeringa, ‘13
Pam Sran, ’18
Gair Eberhard Nelson Dedinas Ltd.
Samantha Swartz, ’19
Jenner & Block
Christine Uhlig, ’93
The Northern Trust Company
Esther Yahnig, ’07